Monday, July 11, 2011

Hiking in Kalihi Valley

About 6 months ago I came across this article and video of a Secret Waterfall. I had to know where it was so I emailed the man that wrote the article but never got a response back from him. This hike pops into my mind every so often and last week as I was looking around on Google Earth I came across two photos in Kalihi Valley that matched the video!

After researching, I couldn't find much but I did find that this is called the Kalihi Valley Ice Pond. I'm sad to say that we didn't make it all the way down to the pool. We just ended up hiking the Old Road, which does only take about 20 minutes, to the trail that leads down to the falls. Sadly, I think the trail is much more worn down now  than it was when the video was made because not only was it steep, it was slick and had ropes to aid in the descent down to the pool. It was not worth the risk with our three kids so we turned around. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but I wasn't going to try it out.

We did really enjoy the hike though! We parked at the end of Kalihi Street, just before the white bridge and walked to the end of  the street and around the road block on the well worn path. There is a no trespassing sign here but we passed a woman and her dog, 2 men fishing and another group of hikers along the old road.


Here is the bridge we parked by. We did drive over it but I was not comfortable with it! It was patched up with ply wood..



Beginning of the hike along the old road.


Creepy old building.. Just before this on the left is some water that comes right up to the road and it looks deep. Very deep! If you go on this hike, watch your kids near it. Also up ahead you have to duck under the branches that are growing over the road.



An old car!



The road becomes decently steep and has running water on it. It is easy to slip going back down if you don't have good traction!



The trailhead down to the Ice Pond. It is hard to see but the white in the very center of the photo is the waterfall coming through the trees.


Even though we were all bummed we didn't get to go down to the falls and pool to swim, we had a great hike!

Tips:
Bring mosquito repellent, they are thick!
Wear shoes with good traction! You will be thankful you did when going back down this road.








No comments:

Post a Comment