Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Aikahi Playground

We have lived in Oahu for a year now and never knew this amazing park was right out the back gate to base (we live on MCBH) until one day last week a neighbor posted pics from this park on her Facebook page. I had to know where it was and was so glad she shared!!

Aikahi Playground is (as far as I can tell) the only wooden play structure on this island that promotes creative play! All of the others are cookie cutter metal playgrounds ordered from a manufacturer. I was so happy to find this park and my 3 kids agreed it is one of the best parks we have ever been to.

It had something for kids of all ages (and the husband too) Mine are 7, 4 and 18 months!










The park is pretty much entirely shaded by huge Monkey Pod Trees. No worries about being in the sun too long or it being too hot!



I have to say, our favorite park of the park was the wooden ship! The floor of it is floating so you can rock it back and forth like you are in a real boat riding waves. How awesome is that!? The first time we went we piled 3 adults and 5 kids on that thing and had so much fun!!


The only thing this park is missing is swings. That's something I've noticed since we have been here in Hawaii - not many parks seem to have them! It is one thing I will look forward to when we get back to the mainland, but for now I am super excited that we found this park to keep us entertained until that time comes - 2 years from now!

One last thing, I've got to say I'm proud of my almost 8 year old who started gymnastics today. By this photo I am thinking she will be a natural.



Aikahi Playground is located in Kailua on Ilihau St. at Aikahi Elementary School. It is open to the public!

Side Note: These pictures were taken on 2 different days! I did not change my kids halfway through playing lol. The park is just that awesome that we took them twice between Friday and Tuesday!




2 comments: